Sunday, January 27, 2013

A quick message regarding clean up...

Hi Brides and Grooms!
 
I just wanted to post a quick message regarding clean up at your wedding. I know I go over this at our first meeting/via e-mail and when we are working on the timeline but after an experience this past wedding season I feel like I need to stress that…clean up does not start at the end of your reception or even an hour before, especially if you have all DIY centerpieces, runners/linens, chaircovers... ect. As I always explain by the time your reception ends EVERYTHING will be packed up and put into the assigned car unless we plan my departure time to be after your reception ends and when this is done usually the bride/grooms pays for me to be there for and additional hour.
If your reception ends at midnight and GJE has to pack up a lot of DIY items chances are your centerpieces will be packed up before your reception ends (unless a florist is returning to back up their vases or again you add hours on to your package). It is impossible to clean up an entire wedding in 30 minutes especially if it took GJE 2-3 hours to set up.

I have NEVER had a problem in the last 6 years with the way I clean up at any event but at a recent wedding a family member was extremely upset with things getting packed up before the event was over. Although my bride and groom knew exactly what I was doing and that everything would be packed up and ready for them to leave when the lights went on this family member followed me throughout the night for the last 1 ½ and basically bullied me. He said things and treated me in a way that I have never been treated not just in the wedding industry but in my everyday life. He cut me down, called me names, accused to of trying to steal desserts as I was packing them up for the bride and groom and then promised that he would make sure I never got any more business and hovered over me trying to intimidate me…being a man and much bigger then myself I did come to a point where I had to go outside because this man upset me so much that I couldn’t help but to cry. Plus on top of everything I was 6 months pregnant...who treats another person like that?

I normally wouldn’t say anything but booking 50+ weddings this year alone I have never been treated poorly or gotten visible upset. Not only was I extremely embarrassed as he did this in front of guests, staff and guests of the other wedding at the venue, I felt like I did something wrong when I know for a fact that I know how to do my job and do it well. I want to make sure this never happens again….especially to one of my lead coordinators. My assistant that was working with me was in shock with the way this man was acting. Luckily the father of the bride did come up to me to let me know how great of a job GJE did and how the day would not have went as smooth as it did without us.

What I’m asking you as my bride/grooms if you know you will have a family member at your wedding who likes to complain or may have a problem with what we do please let them know in advance that you hired GJE for a reason and to please let us do our job as we were hired to.
 
Thanks!
GJE

No comments:

Post a Comment